Prior to making the decision to request that the court order removal of a child, the following is assessed:
- Is the child at imminent risk of harm?
- How does the caretaker view the situation?
- Is the caretaker cooperative?
- Is the caretaker asking for help?
- Is the caretaker capable of change?
- Are there alternatives to removal?
- Are there immediate services that can be put in place to keep the child safe in the home? Can arrangements be made for the child until those services case be put in place?
- Will the perpetrator leave the home?
- Can court orders be put in place that would keep the child safe?